The Vitamix 780 blender is the top-of-the-line model in the company’s popular Legacy series. All of Vitamix’s blenders are neatly categorized into three groups – the Ascent Series, the Legacy Series, and the Personal Series. The 780 is the latest model in the Legacy Series, and it’s also the first blender from Vitamix with touchscreen controls. This is a significant change, as all previous models had the old toggle switch and rotary dial setup.
The 780’s touchscreen feature makes it look smarter, but more importantly, blending is now easier than ever for users. The idea of simple “touch and walk-away” blending has been a huge success. The new feature is perfect for consumers who are accustomed to touchscreen devices like an iPad or iPhone.
But this isn’t the only great feature you’ll find in the Vitamix 780. The blender features a peak 2.2 horsepower motor that operates the stainless steel blades at 37,000 rpm, generating adequate power for your blending, cutting, pureeing, or chopping needs. There is a 64 oz full-sized size container that lets you prepare large portions. There are 5 pre-programmed settings for hot soups, frozen desserts, smoothies, puree, and one for cleaning. Pre-programmed presets will always work better than manual variable speed control. Clean up is super easy too because there’s nothing to disassemble.
The Vitamix 780 blender has been a huge hit ever since it was launched. Thousands of customers from around the world have purchased this model and have great things to say about its durability and overall performance. While the 780 costs more than other models, we feel that it’s worth the additional investment. Cheaper blenders that are less powerful cannot handle the wear and tear and need to be replaced sooner, requiring you to replace them frequently. Plus, the additional features and conveniences make the Vitamix 780 a smart buy.
Vitamix 780 Review
- Build Quality
- The first Vitamix blender with a fully digital control panel.
- 2.2 horsepower peak motor that spins the blades at 37,000 rpm.
- Laser-cut stainless steel blades.
- Large-sized clear 64 oz container.
- Easy to read markings on the container.
- The container is 17.25 inches tall. It goes under the kitchen cabinet easily.
- 5 pre-programmed settings for soups, frozen desserts, smoothies, puree, and cleaning.
- There is also manual speed control from 1-10.
- Pulse option.
- Very efficient with nut butter, juices, smoothies, milk, frozen desserts, soups, dips and spreads, doughs, batters, dressings, purees, and flours.
- Built-in cord wrap below the motor base.
- Available in one color – Black
- 7-year full warranty.
- Cookbook with easy to prepare recipes.
The modern touchscreen control panel is the main distinguishing feature of the Vitamix 780. In fact, all the controls are touchscreen here – there are no switches or knobs on this blender as you see with the 5200, Vitamix 7500, and Professional Series 750. The backlit smooth glass panel responds when you touch your finger, much like the screen of your phone or tablet. You will have to press harder than on your tablet or phone, but that is to prevent you from activating it accidentally.
You can operate the five preset programs, pulse function, and the ten variable speeds with touch. All features in the base will light up when you turn on the blender. There is a glowing blue backlight, giving this blender a futuristic and elegant appearance. The 780 keeps working even if you spill something on the screen accidentally. Also, liquid on the screen does not activate the touchscreen unintentionally. Wiping the machine clean is also way easier than other models because the surface is entirely flat – there are no knobs and switches.
|Motor||2.2 peak horsepower|
|Electrical Ratings||120 V, 50/60 Hz, 12 Amps|
|Dimensions||17.25" x 8.8" x 9"|
There are five preset programs in the 780 for hot soups, smoothies, frozen desserts, puree, and self-cleaning. The programs operate through different speeds. It stops automatically once they have run for a specific time. The Vitamix 750 blender has the same programs as well, but in the 780, they take 2 percent longer time to complete which results in more-thorough blending and cleaning.
The preset programs are a great addition by Vitamix. You know precisely the program to use for your recipes, so the result is always accurate. Even first-time users are thus able to have perfect blends.
There are ten variable speed controls in the Vitamix 780 that always deliver consistent textures, no matter what the ingredient. You can operate the speeds easily — just slide your finger up and down along the speed control strip. You can press the stop button anytime to end the process early if you want. It overrides all other programs, so it’s perfect if you pressed something by accident.
The touchscreen pulse feature is very handy too. It is dynamic and can work on both soft pulp and fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. It does a good job even with the toughest ingredients.
You will get a 64 oz clear low-profile container with your Vitamix 780. At 17.25 inches, it goes under kitchen cabinets easily. You don’t have to remove the lid or the base. This is a big container so you can blend for the entire family or for a house party. You don’t have to worry about storage space. You can blend smaller quantities too when needed — just look at the easy-to-read markings on the jar surface.
You may also want to buy a 32 oz container, which comes with a dry blade that works better with flour. The container inside the standard Vitamix 780 has a wet blade.
Vitamix covers the 780 with a full 7-year warranty. You’ll be covered for all standard wear and tear and manufacturer defects, and if any repairs are needed during that time, Vitamix picks up the costs for all labor, parts, and round trip shipping.
Where to Buy the Vitamix 780
You can purchase the Vitamix 780 directly through Vitamix’s website, or you can order it from Amazon. You can get the 780 shipped to your door for free through both Vitamix and Amazon, but if you order it directly from Vitamix you’ll need this free shipping promo code: 06-006207
So where’s the best place to buy the 780 from? While Amazon is always awesome to deal with, buying it directly through Vitamix will give you a few additional advantages that we feel are worthwhile.
First of all, Vitamix offers a risk-free 30-day in-home trial. If the 780 fails to meet your expectations, just send it back within the first 30 days and Vitamix will refund every penny. They’ll even pick up the cost of the return shipping.
Secondly, the company offers a no interest payment plan where they’ll spread the cost of the 780 out over 18 easy installments.
Pros and Cons
What We Like:
- 2.2 horsepower motor and powerful stainless steel blades.
- A Next Generation blender that combines efficiency and sleek design.
- Easy-to-operate touchscreen controls. The touchscreen function works even if you have oily or wet hands.
- The touchscreen does not start automatically even if you have spilled accidentally.
- Easier to wipe as the surface is flat. There are no switches or knobs.
- 10 variable speed controls.
- 5 preset programs for hot soups, smoothies, frozen desserts, puree, and self-cleaning.
- 64 oz low profile container that goes under kitchen cabinets easily.
- This is the quietest blender in the Vitamix Legacy Series. Better insulation has reduced the noise level.
- Better cooling efficiency. It shuts down automatically if the motor is overheated.
- 7-year full warranty.
- Recipe book.
Things We Don’t Like:
- Black lid so you cannot monitor from above.
- Speed controls cannot be stopped between two points like other models with a physical knob.
- It is costlier than most blenders.
Vitamix is continually innovating and providing new smart features on their blenders. The 780 is the latest model in their Legacy Series, and an upgrade of previous models. The 780 is feature-rich, and the addition of touchscreen functions makes it easier to operate. You can really see the future direction of Vitamix blenders in this model, and we highly recommend it for anyone who wants an incredibly beautiful, high-end blender that is truly built-to-last.